If you’re a Redondo Beach mother who has decided to get a Mommy Makeover, this is an exciting time for you. After years of childbearing, nursing and putting others needs before your own, you are finally going to reclaim your body! But, if you’re like most Redondo Beach women, who love to hit the local sand and surf, you’re probably also wondering, “How visible are my Mommy Makeover scars going to be? Will you be able to see them if I wear a bikini after my procedure?”
Dr. Granzow of Manhattan Beach Plastic Surgery has helped hundreds of South Bay women achieve their pre-pregnancy looks through Mommy Makeover procedures. He’s here to answer all your questions about the procedures included in a Mommy Makeover, including your scars and just how visible they’ll be.
What Plastic Surgery Procedures Are Included in a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a combination of plastic surgery procedures designed to give Redondo Beach mothers their pre-pregnancy bodies back. A Mommy Makeover typically includes:
- A tummy tuck, to eliminate excess fat and loose, sagging skin in the abdomen;
- A breast procedure, often a breast lift to remove sagging skin in the breasts, and a breast augmentation to restore fullness to the top of the breasts; and
- Liposuction in certain cases, to remove stubborn, unwanted fat deposits in your problem areas including your abdomen, hips, thighs and love handles.
What Does a Tummy Tuck Scar Look Like?
A tummy tuck scar is made from hip to hip, to remove unwanted, sagging skin from your abdomen. When Dr. Granzow makes a tummy tuck incision, he goes as low as possible, with the goal of you being able to hide your tummy tuck scar beneath a low-rise bikini or underwear.
What Does a Breast Lift Scar Look Like?
Breast lift scars all depend on the degree of sagging of the breasts. When you get a breast lift, you may have a scar around the areola, if you have less sagging, a vertical scar along the breast, if you have more sagging, or in the case of significant sagging, a transverse scar in the inframammary fold. While you will have visible scars on your bare breasts after a breast lift from a Mommy Makeover, the good news is that all scarring will be hidden by your bra or bikini.
What Does a Breast Augmentation Scar Look Like?
There are four different ways that breast implants can be inserted, and your scarring will depend on which incision type is used. The breast implant incision types are:
- Inframammary, in which an incision is made at the bottom crease of your breast, where the breast meets the rib cage. With this incision type, your bikini or bra line will hide your scar;
- Periareolar, in which an incision is made along the bottom curve of the areola. Typically, the change in color between the areola and your breast disguises the scarring naturally;
- Transaxillary, in which a breast implant is placed through an incision underneath your arm; and
- TUBA, in which an incision is made inside your belly button.
As you can see, typically all breast augmentation scars are skillfully hidden so that no one will know you’ve had a breast augmentation.
What Do Liposuction Scars Look Like?
Liposuction scars are very small incisions that are made in your problem areas. If you have liposuction in your abdomen during your Mommy Makeover, Dr. Granzow may be able to insert the liposuction cannula through your tummy tuck incision, and not create any additional scarring. For other problem areas, small scars will be visible, though they typically are unnoticeable after they heal and change colors from an initial pinkish scar to your natural skin tone.
How Can I Get More Information About a Mommy Makeover?
If you’re a Redondo Beach mother ready for a Mommy Makeover, we encourage you to speak with Dr. Granzow of Manhattan Beach Plastic Surgery about all your questions and concerns.
You can schedule a consultation with him by calling (310) 737-8918.