Dr. Granzow approaches each breast reconstruction patient with individualized attention and compassion. Beginning with a consultation at his Manhattan Beach office, Dr. Granzow will recommend the treatment option that achieves your desired breast shape, size, and contour.
What Types of Breast Reconstruction Are Available?
Breast reconstruction procedures can be divided into two categories, based on the source of the tissue:
- Autologous: Breast reconstruction using a patient’s own tissue. Tissue and supporting blood vessels are moved from one part of the body to the breast to create a more natural appearing reconstruction. Autologous reconstruction includes the most advanced type of breast reconstruction, called free flap reconstruction, described below.
- Implants: Breast implants are used to rebuild the breast after a mastectomy or lumpectomy. In many cases, a temporary, expandable type of implant, called a tissue expander is required to accommodate the breast implant.
Dr. Granzow will explain the benefits and risks of each procedure so that you can make an informed choice.
Free Flap Breast Reconstruction
Free flap reconstruction is the most sophisticated type of breast reconstruction surgery available today. This surgery requires detailed knowledge of breast anatomy and must be performed by a surgeon with specialized training and extensive experience. Dr. Granzow will evaluate appropriate donor sites to form your new breast to the size and shape you desire. The location of the donor site is often determined based on the presence of adequate tissue and patient preference. The main donor sites are:
- Abdomen for deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) and superficial inferior epigastric artery (SIEA) flaps.
- Thighs for profunda artery perforator (PAP) flap.
- Buttocks for superior gluteal artery perforator (SGAP) and inferior gluteal artery perforator (IGAP) flap.
During your consultation, Dr. Granzow will discuss the donor sites best suited for free flap transfer.
Potential Conditions That Can Develop After Breast Cancer Treatment
For Manhattan Beach patients who have completed cancer treatment, one of the biggest risks is developing lymphedema. Dr. Granzow has developed the Functional Lymphatic Operations (FLO) system, a pioneering treatment plan for patients in all stages of lymphedema. Beginning with complete decongestive therapy (CDT), patients receive non-invasive treatment prior to surgery, improving surgical results or avoiding surgery altogether. Effective surgical treatment options are also used as needed for the best results possible.
Dr. Granzow’s Approach to Breast Reconstruction
Breast reconstruction is a complex procedure that involves specific training to achieve natural results. Dr. Granzow applies his microsurgical, aesthetic, and reconstructive training to shape a natural-looking breast that restores your self-confidence in your appearance. Dr. Granzow recognizes the importance getting to know each patient to understand each individual’s goals and desires.
For more information about breast reconstruction, contact our Manhattan Beach office at (310) 882-6261.